Martial Arts Kids
What to expect from DentonMAC Martial Arts Kids?
The Denton MAC kids martial arts program is centered around making students safe through situational awareness, physical and mental conditioning, and practical self defense tactics. This progressive approach pulls from several martial arts and self defense systems, giving the student a well rounded curriculum of personal safety.
5 Most Common Questions
- Are there fees for testing and belts? No. We wrap all fees (except uniforms) into the monthly tuition to make it easy on all ends.
- Do you have different classes by age level? Yes! Our Jr. Samurai program consists of kids age 5-8, while our Samurai program is ages 9-13.
- Who is the main instructor? John Thompson is the main instructor and co-owner of the Denton MAC. He has studied martial arts since 1995, and also holds a Masters in Art Education from UNT which he used to teach middle school for 7 years. He feels the martial arts are a great way to reach diverse learners imparting skill, confidence, and creative thinking.
- Can my kid get a black belt? Once your child has reached the age of 13, and has the consent of parent and teacher, they may train with the adult programs at the Denton MAC in Aikido, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and/or Karate-do. We do have students who reached black belt before finishing high school.
- Will my kid be sparring/competing with other kids? Yes and no. Younger kids spar less frequently, always with supervision, and more importantly with simplified goals. This ensures safety and learning. We also keep the sparring at game intensity to have fun. Sportsmanship is discussed. As the students mature and learn to work with one another, higher levels of sparring may occur.
Jr. Samurai Class (5-8)
Mon: 4:30PM – 5:15PM
Tues: 4:30PM – 5:15PM
Wed: 4:30PM – 5:15PM
Samurai Class (9-13)
Mon: 5:30PM – 6:20PM
Tues: 5:30PM – 6:20PM (Striking Class)
Wed: 5:30PM – 6:20PM
Thurs: 5:30PM – 6:20PM